Black?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by YellaDog, Jun 21, 2009.

1. YellaDog

YellaDog In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2009
    Cumberland Plateau
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We have many of these black pullets, all are about 15 wks old, some are solid black and the others have brown on their chest. The solid black have black legs so I think they are giants, but could either of them be black stars? The solid black ones have a green sheen and the ones with the brown on their chest have a beautiful purple sheen. The options according to what we ordered are black star, australorp, or giant.

2. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    My guess would be black stars. I got 50 last December. My birds range from solid black to all brown. The birds with mostly black have a pretty green/purple sheen to their feathers. Mine lay like crazy. [​IMG] Cute pics, it looks like they want to know "just who do think YOU are, taking my picture!!!?" [​IMG]

3. ve

ve Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    On fitst picture 2 all black are Black Australorp.Second one is Black SexLink

4. YellaDog

YellaDog In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2009
    Cumberland Plateau
    Darn, I was hoping for some black giants...so far, it looks like they didn't send us any giants.

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    I know the black giants are slow maturing, so you may still have a shot. [​IMG]

6. The Gingerbread Man

The Gingerbread Man In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    California
    1st 2 Black 1's Are Australorp's. Other 1 I'm Not Sure.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
  8. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Songster

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I think the first 2 are definitely Australorps. The last looks like a black star. You can tell the difference because of their eyes.

9. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I agree that the ones in the first picture are Australorps. Here is a picture of mine for comparison. The green sheen on the feathers gives it away. [​IMG] They are good chickens and supposed to be good layers.
    [​IMG]

I also agree that the 2nd picture is a black sex link hen.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    The first ones may be australorps (I wouldn't know), but all my black chickens have the green sheen, so the coloring really isn't a determining factor.

Both of these chickens are black sexlinks(black stars) and you can see the green on their feathers too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: