blackberry jelly recipie anyone?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by missourichickenmama, Jul 21, 2008.

1. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    hey everyone,
    just wanted to ask if anyone has some good black berry jelly recipie,but any blackberry recipie will work. yiipchick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
  3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the Certo recipe, but I also bring berries to a boil, remove them from heat, place in food mill to help remove most of the seeds- I hate that seed flavor, then I measure out for the recipe.
    I guess you can boil until the natural pectin takes hold, but I am always in the "need" to get it done and over with. You can top with parifin wax (atleast 1 inch thick, make sure no juice comes up with it) and when you want to get it out, push down on one side and pick it out. Us kids always nibbled on the waxed jelly, miricle we lived! lol)
    Also, I use quite a bit of Lemon in my black berry (raspberry too) and because I like that tart, I use a whole lemon for 4 cups of berries.
    Often when I make blueberry, I'll add 1 tsp lemon and 1 real good teaspoon of Cinnamon before boiling. It gives it a nice rich flavor. Good luck, keep us posted and cant wait to hear which recipe you used for your project! Take care.

ps- not that I want you to do what I said, just love to hear how others do their jams and jellies! I may decide to do something different!

4. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I boil my berries in a bit of water until they are very mushy and then strain as many of the seeds as I can through my jelly cone but mash really well to get as much of the pulp as possible.

I then use the Sure-Jell recipe for Jam. We like the seeds out but we prefer the softer jam rather than the jelly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by