Blackbird's Story, The bravery of a Rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LeBlackbird, Oct 23, 2011.

1. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    My beautiful, calm, trustworthy rooster died bravely. Here is his story

Told in the view of Buddy (aka Blackbird), The Ameraucana rooster~

It was mid summer, I was out near the house, hanging around Buffy. She was an older girl, getting larger every year. Buff brahmas tend to be like that. I was looking brilliant, my feathers shone in iridescent waves. I heard Tulip, my reliable Co-flock leader, erupt in a chorus of cackles. The barred rock was barreling towards me, something chasing behind her. I bellowed out a couple quick alarms and rushed to her aid. It was a rusty red color, it's eyes shined deviously. I'll never forget it's eyes. I passed tulip and whirled around, leading the fox around the corner of the house. My heart pounded in my chest. They were safe. I yelled out in pain as it snapped onto my tail, a storm of black feathers came loose in my attempt to get free. In that moment, my owner opened the front door, and screamed frightfully. The animal dashed away, leaving me ducking under the metal monster that sat on the long, rough black path. My tail ached like a bad tooth. I kept wondering if my girls were ok, hoping that master would chase the beast away. She shooed me out from under my cover, and muttered disdainfully at the sight of me. I was missing all but one tail feather, and most of the left of my saddle was laying about the yard...
    Two months later, summer was nearing it's end, and everything seemed to be alright. Sadly, tulip was taken away from us and kept in a cage on the other side of the yard. One day a strange person came to my land, and took her. I never saw her again. I went out to forage, keeping my little flock in check, trying to make sure everyone was ok. Suddenly, Buffy's muffled yells broke the silence. It was there, again. I ran as fast as I could, calling out to it, if it could only pay attention to me then I could get it away from them. Those devilish eyes turned toward me. It trotted in my direction, acting as if it hadn't a care in the world. I turned on a dime, running full out. I was getting too old for this. It was on me in a second, it's fangs in my rear end once again. I jumped forward, loosing all of my hind feathers once again. My owner was there quickly, scooping me up and yelling at the confused animal. She sat down, me settled comfortably in her strangely featherless wings. I did not struggle. I was still trembling, trying to get over what had just happened. What was important was that it was gone and they were safe.
    It was just the beginning of fall, the temperatures where very comfortable. Master dissappeared very early in the morning, and reappeared later that afternoon. I was out, enjoying myself in the Sun's gentle gaze. I heard some squawking coming from the bushes. I ran over, clucking protectively. It met me there, eyes dark and evil. I stopped. It was just me, and it. The hens would be ok. As long as they were ok, My life was expendable. I jumped bravely forward, I would fight it to the very death. And that's exactly what I did. Master came home later that day, calling out the name of the rooster that was no longer there to respond...

In loving memory of Blackbird, you will never be forgotten <3
    [​IMG]

2. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    What a wonderful, brave rooster. If only all of them could be like him. Thank you for sharing the story, and Im sorry for your loss.

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    So sad! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Truly glorious.

7. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Thank you everyone [​IMG]

Good News!
    I sold 4 chicks, Blackbird's last children, to a woman living near us. She got 3 roosters and 1 Pullet out of the group, so I get to have one of her boys! Buddy's son! So excited! [​IMG] Very open to Name suggestions!

8. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Crow? Raven?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  9. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I like Raven!

10. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    so sorry for your loss [​IMG] blackbird's so much braver than my ameraucana who hides in the woods while my bantam cross pullet chases off the predetors [​IMG]

how about starling? i like crow too. raven was the name of my brave silkie rooster who died of a stroke a few months ago [​IMG] it would be great if you named blackbird's son after raven [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by