Blackened Combs on Rhode Island Red Roosters

Rocky Red

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 9, 2009
Several of our Rhode Island Red Roosters have pretty severe blackening on their combs. On a few it is just the top points, but one has the entire top half of his comb solid black. Is this from cold weather or does it come from disease? This is their only symptom. They are eating well, moving well and are full of energy.

Hi one of my hybrid rhodies got a black comb, its frostbite, and the best way of treating it is calandula cream rubbed on the comb.
I started doing this as soon as I saw the comb had gone black, and now its almost gone. It will depend on how long your birds combs have been black I expect. If its gone too far they will loose the comb eventually.
sad.png
. Hope its not too late.

It's probably frostbite. I have two hens that have lost a few points. I was not familiar with the calendula lotion. I will definately try that!

I was afraid it might be frostbite. If they loose their combs, will they grow back? Will is cause any future problems?

I use balm bag and neosporin on the girls to try and prevent it... it seems to work a bit, they like it too, i feel like they think its like a facial
smile.png

No the comb will not grow back (they ain't salamanders! lol). It will not hurt them that it is gone.

To prevent frostbite you can dub the comb. It's fast and effective. saladin

Dub: means to trim. It is an extremely old farm and cocking practise. Very easy to do and helps prevent frostbite. saladin

Back
Top Bottom