Blackening Comb on my New Hampshire Red Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LizzyRoo30, Nov 12, 2016.

1. LizzyRoo30

LizzyRoo30 Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    West GA
    First of all, this is my first time posting something other than a picture, so I'll be rightfully embarrassed if I've posted in the wrong spot on BYC.

I've grown up having chickens, but just as an aide to my father and I haven't been able to reach him regarding my question.

I've noticed my New Hampshire Red rooster's comb darkening at the tips. It hasn't been cold enough at all for frost bite (Georgia resident), and he doesn't act sick in any other way. He eats, mates, and struts around like his normal cocky self! I haven't been able to study his droppings specifically, but haven't noticed anything abnormal in the dropping box under the coop either. I'm worried simply because all I have read about blackening combs have been negative and I have taken a particular liking to the big 'ol brute! He's less than a year old, around 7 months old. [​IMG]Thanks in advanced!

2. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    I'm having the same problem with my rir but i think its just the cold not letting the blood circulate in their comb. But to keep from frost bite put vasoline on the comb

3. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    And welcome to byc

4. LizzyRoo30

LizzyRoo30 Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    West GA
    I will! Thank you ChickenBFF, and thanks for the welcome, it's my first flock on my own, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    My first flock didnt make it past winter so thats why i like to help so others dont have to go through what i did

6. LizzyRoo30

LizzyRoo30 Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    West GA
    Oh my, how traumatic! It hasn't been too cold here, maybe lower 40° in the night/early morning, but their perch does sit near a window in their coop, maybe it's time that I cover the window for winter? There'd still plenty of circulation. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by