Blackhead Disease??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Chrleone28, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Chrleone28

Chrleone28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    Galloway, NJ
    Hi all,
    Haven't posted in a long time but I have an issue I need to address immediately. We've always had a pair of Royal Palms that we keep with our chickens and we've never had an issue. This summer we lost our female palm when she tried to nest in the woods and was killed by most likely a fox. Recently we decided to get some new turkeys and we brought home a female bourbon red and a female blue slate yesterday. Right off the bat I had an odd feeling about the bourbon red once we got home because she was lethargic, puffed out and standing on one leg. I gave her the night, thinking she was just stressed, but today she is still doing it and I noticed, yellow, runny droppings from her. I'm worried this is blackhead and that the blue slate will have it too since they were kept together at that farm. Both turkeys were put in with our palm tom and our chickens so I am further worried that they may have infected my existing flock of birds already. Can it happen that quickly? One other thing, we also purchased a pair of nutmeg call ducks and they were put in the same cage as the turkeys for the ride home in my truck. Should I be worried for the ducks as well?
    I have of course separated the two turkeys out from our flock but am wondering what else I should do? Is it possible that my flock is now most likely infected in just one day?
    Thanks in advance.
    Chris in NJ.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Get the turkeys by them selves. I don't know about ducks but chickens are unlikely to get it. My dad's turkeys got it and whenever there was the yellow poop that generally meant the end for one of them. He's lost 50% of his meat turkeys this year. Not sure what to mediate them with.

3. zimzimberry

zimzimberry New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Since chickens carry it I recommend putting a medicine/wormer that Will kill blackhead in everyone feed. I've heard live apple cider vinegar in the water can ward off this disease. Good luck.

4. zimzimberry

zimzimberry New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Also the parasite lives in the soil. I don't know if nothing the ground will work our just removing the poop & surrounding dirt is enough

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Worming with something like fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) or albendazole (Valbazen) is a good idea, but it will *not* cure or treat the disease.

Treatment for blackhead (histomoniasis) is no less than 30mg/kg metronidazole by mouth once a day for five days (30mg per 2.2 pounds), but I have heard of vets prescribing 60mg/kg twice a day (60mg per 2.2 pounds) and some pigeon people give their pigeons and entire 250mg tablet for canker. Metronidazole is sold OTC as Fish-Zole, Meditrich and API General Cure, it's generic Flagyl.

Petsmart carries the API General cure, but the others you would have to buy online. Treat ASAP or you will probably lose your turkey, you don't have time to order it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good idea, but they won't drink water with metronidazole in it.

-Kathy

7. Chrleone28

Chrleone28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    Galloway, NJ
    Thanks for all the info. I am on way to pet smart now to get the API.
    Since it's a powder, how do I get the turkeys to take it? Do I just treat the 2 new females or the tom we've had as well?

8. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    You could mix the powder into a thinner yogurt perhaps and draw that up into a medicine syringe (like you use for kids amoxicillin or what have you) and then squirt the disguised powder directly into the turkey's beak bit by bit. Let them swallow it down that way.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    First you'll need to weigh them or at least try to guess their weight, 'cause the bigger they are, the more they'll need. I just recently treated my two year old BBW hen with 1000mg, that's four packs of the powder. Also, check the ingredients on the back of the box and verify that metronidazole is listed, it will probably also have Praziquantil, which will treat any tapeworms they might have, lol.

-kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If I were going to give the powder I would tube it, but you probably don't have a tube, although you could use aquarium tubing. Can you stop by a vet's office and get a size18 French catheter a catheter tip syringe? That would be the easiest and safest way to do it. I'll PM you my number so you can call and I'll talk you through it. If the vet is confused, call me from there and I'll tell them what you need.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by