Blackhead? How to get rid of? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 9farmgirl9, Jun 16, 2011.

1. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Ok so ino my chickens have it i will be getting a supplement butin articals it says i need to sanitze everything i do i sanitize dirt----> the protazoa that causes it can stay there for 3 yrs!!! That cant happen i have peachicks!! How do i get rid of it.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You need to worm your chickens to kill the cecal worms that carry the protozoa. There are 2 wormers that can do this. Valbazen is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer and Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Both can be purchased online from Jefferslivestock.com or you can call them.
    Dosage for Valbazen(albendazole) is given orally to each chicken...1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens.
    Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) is given orally to each chicken...1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large chickens, 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller chickens.
    Once you dose them initially, you must reworm them again in 10 days with the same dosage. There is a grand total of 24 days withdrawal.
    Ideally, you would want to worm them with valbazen first, then 10 days later use the safeguard on them.
    After completeing worming, you might want to purchase metronidazole which is found online as Fishzole to kill the protozoa. Dosage for metronidazole (fishzole) is one 250ml pill once a day given to each chicken for 7 days.
    It's better to set up a worming schedule at your convenience to keep your chickens free from all worms. For example, you might want to worm them once every 8-10 months...or however you want to do it. I worm mine once a quarter.
    The soil has other types of worms as well, some worm oocysts stay dormant for many years. A chicken would have to be permanently caged for it not to get worms. If their feet touch the ground, they will get worms.
    I do not know if valbazen, safeguard or fishzole can be used on peachicks.

3. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    The peachicks don't have it but when they get bigger they will have to be outside. and i spent alot of money on them and i don't want them to die. And 2 of my chickens outside have it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by