1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blackhead in Mississippi?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by msudawgs56, May 8, 2011.

1. msudawgs56

msudawgs56 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Anyone know if we have blackead in Ms? I've called the local USDA and MSU extension office but they know nothing! Any help will greatly be appreciated. I would love to keep my 6 turkeys in the same area with my chickens. Thanks!

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  2. katiefarm

katiefarm New Egg

May 9, 2011
    I've been trying to find out myself if I need to move my little Turkey away from his little chicken friend but can't find much info about it

3. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    I still have not found the answer either. I have turkeys around my chickens and have had no problems with it. Respiratory issues seem to be a bigger problem here. Maybe someone at MSU can tell you. Post if you find out.
    Mark

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I've never had any problems with it. Has there been reports about it or something?

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If i were to guess, and I live in FL, that anyplace with hot and wet weather could breed blackhead. That said not everyone has problems with it, bad thing is you normally have to have a turkey come down with it before you know you have it.... I am careful about introducing new chickens, I always keep meds like Fishzole on hand encase I have problems, and I've had a few. I try to avoid keeping chickens and turkey penned togther. I raise poults off ground until about 3 months old. I worm chickens with safeguard liquid goat wormer, as it helps kill off the host parasite that carries balckhead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by