Blackhead in older turkey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mjsjr, Feb 21, 2015.

1. mjsjr

mjsjr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    I have a small flock (1 tom, 4 hens) of heritage bronze turkeys. One of the hens has come down with blackhead. I have her isolated. They are older birds - almost 1 year old. Can anyone tell me the dosage for metronidazole for the older bird? Or have any other possible treatments.

I tried the old Cayenne pepper bit in the water (b/c I had to wait for payday to be able to purchase the metronidazole) - the best I can say is that it doesn't seem to have hurt her. She walks around, chirps, etc. She is just producing the sulfur colored poop. I am planning on getting FishZole this week - but need to know the dosage.

thanks

2. mjsjr

mjsjr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    Also, can I use Wazine to worm them - does it take care of the same worms as valbazen or safeguard?

Thanks again.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Blackhead is deadly to turkey's, I'm surprised she's alive.
    For turkeys; fishzole (metronidazole) dosage is one 500mg tablet once a day for 5 days. Treat for blackhead first, then worm her with either safeguard or valbazen. I dont know the dosages for turkeys, PM Casportpony for that info.
    Wazine wont kill the cecal worm that carries the protozoa that causes blackhead.

4. mjsjr

mjsjr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    Not only is she alive, but really her only symptom is the sulphur colored poop. Otherwise, she looks/acts normal. Perhaps because she is older?

Thank you though for the info.

Two more questions:
    1. Can I treat my ducks with safeguard or valbazen?
    2. If I treat my chickens with safeguard or valbazen - do I have to hold back the eggs?

I am thinking about just dosing everyone.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont know anything about ducks.
    Normally there's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last day of worming. Toss the eggs in the garbage, there's residue in the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by