1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blackhead/Pencil thin poop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnthonyFlock, Nov 18, 2015.

1. AnthonyFlock

AnthonyFlock Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    Kansas
    I read a lot about poop lately because I found my NH red poop this this morning:
    [​IMG]

Still don't know if it's blackhead or not. Normal behavior (social and physical) as well as normal appetite but not normal poop. No blood anywhere and no one else acting funny. It's only 38 deg so it's not heat and I haven't noticed her drinking excessively. Not laying yet. Consistency is very thick, jelly like and more off white-white than yellow.

Anywho... I also noticed a BA poop this yesterday. Doesn't look very abnormal except it's pencil thin! I don't believe she's been pooping this thin for very long (although with 12 chickens, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 kids it could have slipped by me). All of my birds are 24 weeks old, usually produce mondo poops, and in otherwise excellent health with top-notch food plus addition fermented feed. Could this be due to an obstruction? And, how do I check?
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advanced!

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Both not normal. Could be many things... start by isolating both and increase their fluid intake by maybe making a mash out of their crumbles.

-Kathy

3. AnthonyFlock

May 20, 2015
    Kansas
    Wow, you're on this! Lol thanks. I'm glad I asked because I can't find anyone else complaining about thin poop and the Internet is useless! Is there a sound way to check for an obstruction?

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    I don't want to scare you, but I have seen these skinny poops before and it always ends up needing treatment of some type. The conservative thing to do is to get more water in them.

-Kathy

5. gonnyto2

gonnyto2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2015
    central kentucky
    commenting so i can follow this thread.

6. AnthonyFlock

May 20, 2015
    Kansas

Information is priceless! I'd much rather know than keep my head in sand. In the other cases you've seen, what were the problems and resolutions?

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

8. AnthonyFlock

May 20, 2015
    Kansas
    I think we'll be going that route to stay proactive and to avoid unnecessary medicating. Fortunately, we have a nearby fowl vet [​IMG] Hopefully this inquiry will help someone else! I'll update it once we know. Thanks for all of your insight Kathy!

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    You're welcome and good luck! Please update when you can. [​IMG]

-Kathy

10. AnthonyFlock

May 20, 2015
    Kansas
    Great news!!! They're perfectly healthy! Vet cleared them in excellent health and said the white jelly like poo could be caused by the fermented feed and the skinny poop is "normal"
    Whew! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by