1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blackhead poo?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KsKingBee, Feb 25, 2014.

1. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

We have had this hen turkey for about a month. The previous owner said she treated both of them for blackhead before she sold them to us. One of the hens has been feeling a little off for a couple of days. I was hoping that she was getting ready to start laying again because she has been drooping her wings a bit and standing about cat napping. But this poo makes me wonder if she isn't starting to show signs of blackhead.

[​IMG]

There is not a lot of light yellow, just enough to make me worry.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That definitely could be blackhead. Treatment for blackhead is metronidazole no less than 30mg/kg by mouth for five days. FWIW, I give mine 60mg/kg for five days and I also worm with Safeguard at 50mg/kg once by mouth and repeat in ten days.

The most I have heard of vets prescribing is 60mg/kg twice a day and some vets will also recommend Baytril for any secondary infections, but I usually give them 2-3 days metronidazole before I start Baytril.

The sooner you start metronidazole, the better the outcome.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. KsKingBee

Am I going to stuff a tablet down her gullet or am I going to do something else with them?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

What breed and how old?

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It will be given orally, once or twice a day, that's up to you. My huge BBW turkey hens get 1000mg once a day.

-Kathy

7. KsKingBee

Royal Palm, 2013 hatch.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I think when my young Royal Palm hen had blackhead I gave her one pill twice a day. I think she weighed about 4kg.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How is she today?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by