Blackie has gone broody and is sitting on 8 eggs.... In late December?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peacebird, Dec 28, 2007.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

I had pet sitters over the holidays, they must not have grabbed the eggs out each day... How bad is it for her to be sitting on eggs that will hatch in January (near the mountains in Virginia)?
    [​IMG]

Should I upset Blackie by stealing the eggs? Or just let her try to hatch them? If they hatch will the peeps be able to survive late Jan and early Feb temps in the coop?

thanks!

2. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have a broody too and since I am weak I have put eggs under her and brough her in and she is in a LARGE dog crate. If you can't bring her in I would recomend taking the eggs away from her and just let her sit it out.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have a crazy broody sitting on eggs too.

If you're going to let her hatch them you'll need to seperate her from other chickens. Put her in a place where chicks won't fall out of the nest after hatching
    and prepare a brooder with a heat source for the chicks to stay in for at least 8 weeks.

You can try to break her broodiness by taking her eggs from her, sometimes that works, and sometimes they'll just sit on air.

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I too have one setting....I will let her be until they hatch and then bring them in............I have taken the eggs at first.she keeps on eggnapping the others layed so I decided to just try it....even in the ice.....once they hatch....they will all come inside....

5. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    If I let her be until they hatch, then bring in mom and the chicks? or just the chicks?

My first hatch was a surprise and I left them in the coop with all the others (roo and three hens plus the two broody hens and their 4 chicks) and everyone got along fine.... But it was summertime.

6. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    if you let her set make sure that she is out of the wind,we had a late snow storm in April of 85 and my poor old setten hen froze to death right on the nest,I felt so bad ,and still do,just a couple little cracks and the snow blew in,this was in Colorado.that poor hen never left her nest

7. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Two of my silkies went broody. I replaced their eggs with golf balls. They sat for about a month on those balls and have just now given up. I'm in Northern Michigan so it's much to cold for them to hatch babies.

I figure by letting them have the golf balls they weren't stressed... they guarded them something fierce so they were doing what came naturally and seemed content. And I didnt' have to worry about lil babies dieing in the snow when they tried to follow mom out of the coop.

Julie =0)

Skeeter that was a sad story.............

8. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Heartbreaking story skeeter. I'm so sorry.

9. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

oh Skeeter - that is just so sad....

Blackie has been joined by my other cochin Splash, and the coop has about 8 inches of straw in the bottom (where they are) plus inch think foam insulation around three sides and the roof. (Can't put it on the side inside the run cuz they keep finding ways to eat it....) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by