Blackjack 57 consistency... did I just ruin this floor?

Sarahs Hens

Songster
5 Years
Mar 14, 2017
Saratoga NY
So my coop modification and run build project has been a long, slow process. In my eagerness to make progress, I rushed to blackjack the floors before the sun set. I was sticky and covered in goop by the time I realized I should have looked up the proper method first...

I mixed the gallon as best I could, first with a paint stirrer (which broke immediately), then a 1x2. I mixed till it seemed consistent but having never worked with it before I don't think it was right. It was like wet goopy clay. I just slopped it on and smoothed it around with gloved hands... the paint brush and roller were both useless as it wouldn't adhere like paint. Is this normal? Here is the result:

20200601_193704.jpg

How forgiving is this stuff? Could I potentially wait a few days then cover with a very thin, better mixed coat?

Hmmmmm... actually I don't know what happens if it's not mixed well. :confused:

Since it's already on there, guess the best you can do is get it mixed really well for the second coat. We flipped the bucket before using (don't do this for 2nd coat!) and then spent 15 minutes taking turns stirring it to get it mixed. It should be thick but shouldn't be gloopy, and should adhere just fine to an ordinary paintbrush (I used a masonry brush).

Also for "best coverage" I'd go up a foot or so on the walls with this as well, since bedding and poop can get kicked around. I also applied it on the inside of the human door.

Thank you both! Yes, shortly after I posted that, I ordered a paint mixer drill attachment and masonry brush that I'll pick up today. How long should I wait for the second coat?

You can apply 2nd coat when it's fairly well surface dry. Your boots might stick slightly as you walk across it but as long as its dry enough that you're not actually sticking noticeably, or leaving indents, it's good enough to do the second coat.

Back
Top Bottom