Blackjack #57 deep litter compost safe for garden?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AuntJamie, Mar 6, 2017.

1. AuntJamie

AuntJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2017
    Sort of Central Ohio
    Basically, that's my question. It's time to get something on the floor to protect the wood from the deep litter composting. I'd love the thorough, long lasting seal Blackjack provides but would the compost be safe for the vegetable garden?
    If I can't get a definitive answer on this then vinyl it is, I guess. Anybody know how many years before vinyl needs replacing?

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I've been using the old bedding out of my coop for years (With a Blackjack covered floor) with no problems. When the stuff is dry, it's dry. No need to worry about it leaching into anything.

3. AuntJamie

Mar 4, 2017
    Sort of Central Ohio
    Thanks for answering, JackE. How long have you had this on your coop floor? Do you think you'll need to redo it at some point?

4. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Close to 7 yrs. Last Oct, when I did the last coop cleaning, it looked as good as it ever has. There is no pealing or flaking of it from the floor. I still say it's the best coop, wood floor protector you can get. The only place that shows some wear, is by the pop door. Been a lot of foot traffic there. And there is no pine bedding there, only sand. I need to pour another bag (sand) in there.

5. AuntJamie

Mar 4, 2017
    Sort of Central Ohio
    Oh, you use sand. I'm planning on using the deep litter method using straw, leaves, grass clippings etc. Think it will make a difference?

6. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I only use sand up by the open front, about 3' of floor space. The rest of it(13') is pine shavings, changed out twice a yr. The litter can get kinda deep in there between clean outs. The Blackjack is good for deep litter.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  7. AuntJamie

Mar 4, 2017
    Sort of Central Ohio
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know! [​IMG]

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I don't consider what I have, as a true deep litter composting system. It gets deep, and much the litter breaks down, but it is NOT like my compost heap. I have noticed some dampness, under the litter, that is under the roosts. But after that gets turned and flipped around, it mostly drys out. IMO, to have a true composting deep litter, you need to have a dirt floor in the coop.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by