Blackjack #57 question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickennovice74, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Chickennovice74

Chickennovice74 In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    Question for those who have used this for your coop floor...I purchased today and when I opened the container it looked like pieces of rubber in a clear liquid. No amount of stirring would get it to go into a solution. I always pictured that it would be more of a thick tar-like solution. I am wondering if I got a defective container or is it supposed to look like this and eventually go into solution? Any input is appreciated.

2. Chickennovice74

Apr 16, 2014
    Bump

3. Lockdown199

Lockdown199 In the Brooder

I was planning on using it also on my roof and floor. You might need to get one of those mixers that you use to mix joint compound. It attaches to a drill and when you start go very slow or it will all splatter out.

4. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Songster

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    I didn't see anything like that in my can of BJ57. There was however a sort of muddy looking slurry which mixed up with the other liquid quite readily. I wonder if your can wasn't sealed an some portions dried up.

5. countrygirl86

countrygirl86 Songster

Apr 4, 2014
    Mine did not look like that at all. It was black/muddy and looked like thick paint once stirred. I would take it back to the store. Perhaps it could be mixed at the store with a paint mixer (the kind that shakes it) or they could exchange it. If you use it as is chances are that it won't cure properly.

6. Chickennovice74

Apr 16, 2014
    Thanks for your responses. I was certain that I had to have a defective can, but didn't want to look like an idiot at the store. I will take it back and try again!:)

7. eagle227

eagle227 In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    Do you use a regular paint roller like you use to paint walls to roll the Blackjack #57 on the floor of the chicken coop? I would like to know how thick you should put it down? My coop is 12 x 16. Any info is appreciated since this is my first time having chickens.

8. J at Yoti Farms

J at Yoti Farms In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Wanamaker, IN
    We used a 4 in paint brush on the walls and floor. We had enough for two coats. 8x12 floor with 7 ft walls

9. eagle227

eagle227 In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    Does it dry like rubber or will it be sticky when hot and humid? I have read pros and cons about it, but I think this is going to be my choice.

10. J at Yoti Farms

J at Yoti Farms In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Wanamaker, IN
    It should not be tacky to the touch when dry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: