Blacksnake caught!!! Picture included with my poor silkie in belly.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by can you hear me now?, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Finally got the black snake that has been eating my chickens, ate a silkie chick overnight and killed my son's serama.
    I will add a picture once i figure out how. I forgot it has been so long since i added images.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. lol guess nobody likes snake pictures, just thought this one would hit someones interest [​IMG]

3. Bedste

Bedste Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I hate snakes....... did you relocate this varment or destroy it..... I know that not all snakes are bad..... but if you let him go he just tells all his friend where the easy food is.. right?

4. ruby

ruby Songster

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    he needs a new neighborhood, if you relocate him, he must be over 3 or 4 miles from your chicken pen. Sorry about your losses. Snakes are dumb, but part of nature.

5. operator16

operator16 Songster

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    I'm so sorry for your losses. I can't imagine how upsetting that is. But to see his swollen sides.... GOD! I've got the heebies now. Move that snake far, far from civilization. I was just reading a post where someone mentioned that you can't be sure your birds are safe unless they are behind hardware cloth... I'd buy stock in that stuff and cover the whole place if possible. I wish you the best in handling this situation.

6. I relocated the snake into my pig pen, she finished him off. Sorry to the people that feel relocation is the best thing, but I don't agree and had now way for relocating a couple miles away. My seven year old son lost his pet,(the serama), to that snake and I feel he needed some kind of vengeance. Am I to say no to a crying kid? Not this time I am not, I sincerely felt bad that his little chick that he has been playing with daily, was dead. It didn't even eat that bird. The only reason it was still in my chicken house was because it ate my biggest silkie chick and couldn't fit out. I knew we had a snake problem but couldn't find it because the chicks it ate previously were smaller. I am just happy to be rid of it and my pig was happy for the free meal.

7. operator16

operator16 Songster

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    You did what you had to do. Will there be more? I don't know about black snakes. Are they like bull snakes? We have those here and they claim a few acres per mature snake.

I hope your son is well. Poor guy.

can you hear me now? :

I relocated the snake into my pig pen, she finished him off. Sorry to the people that feel relocation is the best thing, but I don't agree and had now way for relocating a couple miles away. My seven year old son lost his pet,(the serama), to that snake and I feel he needed some kind of vengeance. Am I to say no to a crying kid? Not this time I am not, I sincerely felt bad that his little chick that he has been playing with daily, was dead. It didn't even eat that bird. The only reason it was still in my chicken house was because it ate my biggest silkie chick and couldn't fit out. I knew we had a snake problem but couldn't find it because the chicks it ate previously were smaller. I am just happy to be rid of it and my pig was happy for the free meal.​

8. He was better to see we got rid of the snake. On the other hand I gave him the buff brahma bantam and he seemed to be happy with that. Yes I did what I thought was right for the situation.

9. ruby

ruby Songster

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    Glad it's over, but still look for a mate. Honestly I didn't know a pig would eat a snake, cool! Take care of your little guy.

10. I didn't know they would either, my neighbor told me he has been feeding all the copperheads he has caught this year to his pigs. I thought I would give it a try and it worked. Next time I know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: