Bladder on the outside????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeaucamom, Feb 12, 2008.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    This australorp hatched a few days ago with a rough navel. I had her lying on her back fixing the navel and when that finally closed up, I flipped her and found this sac of fluid. I drained it immediately with light yellow colored clear fluid. She seems totally healthy moves freely, eats, poops doesn't get picked on at all. But over the last few days it filled up again and I drained it again this morning and it was much darker yellow but still clear. It looks like concentrated urine. It also has a white clob of something in it that keeps plugging the needle. Her body is extremely small and it almost seems like 1/2 her thigh area on that side is missing.

Can she survive with this????

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I haven't seen something like that on a chick that is fluffy and looks so good. My guess is part of the yolk sac popped out and is continually draining because the chick already learned to eat and drink? Maybe it is some other tissue that distended? I really don't know. Don't know anything about avian renal systems, but I don't think they have bladders since they produce urates instead of urea.

Good luck with the chick!

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Try to put some Preperation H on it. Do you know if it is swelling? or a blister?

4. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    poor little fellow. He looks healthy.

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey lady.......you have your puter back now?
    interesting problem with the chick........wonder what it could be. My bator is holding temps really good........ did Katy tell you I called last night...? Love ya girl.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm not sure how much prep h will do as it doesn't look very vascularized and prep h is a vasoconstrictor (witch hazel). It would work on a prolapse though.

I am venturing towards thinking it may need to be removed in this case? Not sure how the chick will take that though if it is some sort of drain.

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    But if its a bladder then I'm not sure that it will be healthy for it to be removed

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  8. jeaucamom

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Well after looking up chicken anatomy online, I think her ovaduct is floating around in this sac. I had seen something small and white and floating in there and from the diagram of the anatomy, that is what I think it is. But that doesn't account for the fluid????

This chick is active and appears totally healthy otherwise. Eating, drinking, pooping and no where near the bottom of the pecking order. I hate the thought of putting down an otherwise healthy chick, but I can't see draining this thing every day it's whole life. I would sure love some insight from all of you!!

9. jeaucamom

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Anyone else with any ideas???

10. jeaucamom

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    bumpity bump bump bump!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by