1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blah , first disaster during a hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Mar 30, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Well after holding pretty steady between 65-70% for the past 2 days my humidity decided to climb to over 85% , the window was complettly fogged and coverd with drops , two babies had hatched one at 330am and one at 900am I was opening hte bater and wipeing the glass and took out a sponge when I noticed that there was so much humidity that the cartons on one side of the bator were completly soaked so I took it out and switched the eggs. AND I dropped one , smashed the top in [​IMG] so I took a small part of the shell off I could see the chick under the membrain and the membrane was bleeding in one spot a little by one of the cracks further down , It was jsut one small like pencil eraser size spot of blood. Do you think that chick will be ok?
    After I put them in dry cartons I closed it up , got the cat out of the room and shut the door. How likely is it I shrink wrapped the babies haveing the bator open for about 2 minutes to switch out cartons, it went from 85% to about 68%.
    [​IMG]

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I am so sorry! Hopefully they will be ok. Make sure you post pic's of your babies.

3. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I would think that it should be ok. Just make sure the membrane doesn't dry up and stick to the chick. Use a wet q-tip to moisten it every once in awhile.

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I know of one bad thing to say about cartons, they suck up extra moister to easly and in my homemade bator/hatcher the cartons are on teh floor and not wire so they got really soggy.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Next time you should cut a piece of hardware cloth to fit in the bottom to keep them up off the floor. Then they won't get soggy.

6. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    yes that is now aparant , it should have been to begin with everyone elses hommades had wire on the bottom , I bought some but I coudnt get it to fit in right after like 3 tries I gave up [​IMG]
    Now I just hope the babies will be ok, Im gonna keep a close eye on the one I cracked and when the viens dry up and if he dosnt do anyting I may have to help him out . I hope not thats just way to scary for me , but my luck the poor thing has a head injury [​IMG]

7. merrydancer

merrydancer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    Hope your Pacific Northwest babies will be OK. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by