cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Just wanted to say Blamo, who is a GLW laid her first egg about a hour ago.

DSCN2416.jpg

You go, Blamo! Wyandottes are not only gorgeous, but dynamite egg layers, and mine have kept on laying into their sunset years.

Warning, GLWs are notoriously fierce broodies.
Blamo says thank you!

About the broodiness, REALLY? I thought they did not go broody very often.... Hmm.
Do Buff Orpington's go broody as much as Golden Laced Wyandotte's?

I've had two GLWs and two BOs. Only the GLWs have been broody, very frequently and predictably. None of the BOs ever went broody. Curiously, I've had more SLWs and none ever went broody. It does depend on breeding stock each hatchery uses if this trait gets passed on to the chicks they sell.

I've had two GLWs and two BOs. Only the GLWs have been broody, very frequently and predictably. None of the BOs ever went broody. Curiously, I've had more SLWs and none ever went broody. It does depend on breeding stock each hatchery uses if this trait gets passed on to the chicks they sell.

Thanks!

I have a few BOs and GLW among others and it's my BOs that go stubbornly broody the most. Next is my mottled cochin. My GLW just lays and lays and lays and is sweet and friendly. The BOs stay broody for weeks even with wire cage vacations, cool water baths, removal from nests, etc.

I have a few BOs and GLW among others and it's my BOs that go stubbornly broody the most. Next is my mottled cochin. My GLW just lays and lays and lays and is sweet and friendly. The BOs stay broody for weeks even with wire cage vacations, cool water baths, removal from nests, etc.
Oooooo.

Thanks for the warning.
I JUST finished breaking my Australorp and it took 9 days! I already broke my RIR and I couldn't even begin to crack my PBR. Her clutch is due to hatch tomorrow. I only have 10 hens! That's a high percentage and these girls are all first year.
I have a SLW and GLW pullets. I hope the observational differences you note between the SLW and GLW hold true for my two girls as my SLW is a finger pecker. I wouldn't like to see that trait combined with broodiness.
I don't know how I'm going to deal with all this broodiness next year!

@cluckmecoop7, Blamo is a stunning girl! Congratulations on the first egg!

Back
Top Bottom