Blanched feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beachchickie, Aug 21, 2010.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    This may seem odd but I have 4 RIR's. The 2 youngest have yellowish feet that have some brown on top. The oldest has yellowish feet no real brown and one that is in the middle her legs are almost white. I can't remember them being that pale. Is there something that can cause a chickens feet to blanch out? Anyone else ever notice this on a chicken?

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    how old are they? I had 2 RIR that I got from auction that had really pale legs almost white but as they got older they started turning yellow and by the time they started to lay they got really yellow. Oh by the way mine were 2-3 months old when I got them.

3. dawnchick

dawnchick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    If they are hatchery birds I suspect this is due to the cross-breeding they do. Like, I have black Austalorps, mature birds, with some white feathers. I'd just feed them well and not worry.

4. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Well she is 1 yr old lays regularly. Had bumblefoot sx last week but feet were whiter by far than the other RIR. She and the three others are the small comb type and I have one that has the fuller wattle/comb combo. I just was curious if others had RIRs that had pale legs and feet? Hope her legs are OK She is otherwise fine

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A hen's legs will lighten as the laying season progresses. It's totally normal and nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by