1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blanketing Horses

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Appytaz, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Do you blanket your horse for the winter?

What temperatures do you blanket at?

I alway blanket my gelding and he has several different weight blankets.
    Below 50 I use his heavy weight and hood.
    50-60 I use heavy weight but no hood
    60-70 Light weight sheet

I was told it was useless to blanket him without a hood.
    Any thoughts?

2. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    you are in florida..why blanket at all?..I am in MN and the only time I blanket is after a winter ride,never otherwise..just let them be and they will grow as much hair as they need,nature is a lot better at giving them a coat then we ever will be..if I am understanding correctly you are blanketing them in anything under 70 degrees!!!!...that is really bad for your horse,the perfect temp for horses is around freezing,thats where THEY are the most comfortable..I would think you are just asking for him to get sick on you.

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I would have to ask why you are blanketing. Are you trying to prevent the growth of their winter coat for showing purposes? As for warmth, I lived in Fl for years and never saw a reason, north or south Fl, to blanket a horse and never saw any horses, except show horses, with a blanket. I feel that Lorie is right.

4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    My horses are on full turn out, I have never used a blanket.
    Done even own one. We can get pretty cold here 30 at night and some times even lower.
    They grow a good thick coat. Have a barn and lots of wind blocks.
    And do just fine.

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I agree with lorieMN, I too only blanketed after a ride on a cold day. Just until they stop steaming and the sweat drys. Let them grow their winter coat. If you are showing, that is a different thing all together. You wouldn't want them growing their shaggy coats for shows.[​IMG] I hope this helps.

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I raised Apps and QH's and showed them for years. I blanketed with hoods if it got below 50 but that was it and my horses always stayed slick. I never turned them out with one on to prevent injuries.

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I adopted a horse in February 2007 that was currently being blanketed so I had to keep a blanket on her for the rest of the winter. But on warm days when I took it off, she would immediately lay down a roll around. This past winter 2007 / 2008, I never put a blanket on her and she grew a beautiful coat and never seemed to mind. My horses always have access to the barn to get out of the elements if they want to.

I also agree, after a ride, when they are sweety, I would blanket them so they cool down slowly and dry.

I am in Maryland, last night their water frooze, but the horses were out in the field at midnight and this morning, I doubt they ever went into the barn.

8. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    We never blankets ours. The only reason I would if they are really old and can't control their body heat correctly. Horses get a winter coat for a reason. I think it causes more problems when you blanket them. People don't realize that they can sweat with a blanket on, then they get colder because of the sweat. I let nature take over. It has been right for this long.

9. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Yes it is for showing purposes. Here in FL there are numerous local/open shows this time of year and I am hoping to keep a moderate coat on him this year.
    Thanks for the input.

10. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    That being the case, I would follow the advice of Pumpkinpup since he/she has show experience. And good luck in the shows!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by