Blasted Cocci!! Need dosing help.

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I knew we had cocci at least a week ago, and have tried to treat using the only thing I could get around here (and we're NOT rural!! No one has anything!!) I got liquid Sulfa-Nox, which even had dosing instructions for poultry- sulfaquinolone, I think it is. Great!- except it expired in '06!!!

So I drove to KC it get something from TSC, and they had nothing but an Aureomycin/Sulmet combo powder for drinking water, but "Swine only" is all over it, and I'm not sure how to dose a flock.

It's not the 12.5%- in fact, it doesn't give any ratio like that or I'd adjust according to what I've found regarding that med...so I'm frustrated, and now we're seeing bloody poo- barely, but it's there. They act normal, and I'd like to KEEP it that way!!!

Anyone use this combo soluble before successfully, or have a correct dosing for me to use? It's NDC0856-8729-30, a white and yellow foil bag with blue lettering- Fort Dodge is the manf.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
ChooksChick, sorry I can't help you on the sulfa dosage here at work, but in the meantime have you tried feeding them buttermilk, cultured yogurt, or fresh (unpasteurized) whole milk (goat or cow)? These old farm tricks can really help for mild cocci outbreaks in otherwise healthy flocks.

I soften the layer pellets in water and then mix in the buttermilk or milk product, and lay it out in a shallow dish each day for 4-5 days. Now it may not save a weakened bird with a really nasty case of coccidiosis, but I have had very good results with my own flock (compared to not treating or treating with Amprol/Corid).

Good luck!

Quote:
I wish I could even GET unpasteurized milk of any kind around here...but I can't. I haven't given them any, but I'll whip up a bunch of good cultured yogurt for them and let them have at it.

Thanks!!

If the package makes 100 gallons to an envelope you can mix 2 grams or 1/4 a teaspoon in a gallon of water. iam pretty sure thats the break down on it.

Someone might want to double check me- but thats the dosage I used on my birds on a similar product.

AND the Merck manual is down, to boot!!!!! Good Grief!

Thanks for the suggestions- I was told everywhere I went that they are out of Sulmet, and will never find Corid again- no one could tell me why, either? Anyone know what that's about?

It will be cheaper from Smith's poultry supplies in Bucyrus Ks
they are honest and cheaper
they ship daily
Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply Home
... owned business that offers poultry and game bird books, supplies, vitamins and medication. Located ... Smith Poultry and Game Bird Supply offers for sell many ...

www.poultrysupplies.com -
Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply

14000 W. 215th St., Bucyrus, KS 66013-9519

Ph. 913-879-2587 Fax. 913-533-249

Back
Top Bottom