Blasting the mountain in front of our house....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by monarc23, Aug 7, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I assume the family area is the place to post this as it involves my family.

In the begining of spring blasting people went around to other peoples homes to get approval to blast the mountain infront of our home (we live on the top of a mountain on the side of a valley (so we're high up facing the other side of the valley).....well they never came and talked to us however they talked to the neighbors directly beside us.

Apparently they are blasting now...and the only reason I know is because I heard our roof crack THEN a split second later felt the shake and heard the boom....all my cats (three) freaked out and looked directly out the window towards the mountain.

The roof cracking did not sound nice...., im also worried as we live above a very old mine on very soft ground from springs (probably from the mine being full of water) I have no idea how far it is down but i know fractures can happen and that kinda freaks me out lol.

We rent from my parents so she (my mom) will be checking the roof when she gets home though i highly doubt if there is a crack that it will be that obvious though if it is that sucks! LOL!

Just needed to vent. [​IMG] and whine about my phobia of falling into a mine LOL. [​IMG] I know my hubby drills for natural gas and when the second company comes in to blast the holes theres been times they cause MAJOR fractures in the ground....so just has me thinking lol. Anyone had to deal with blasting near them and experience any house damage?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh gee! That is not nice for them to forego proper channels to let the neighbors or anybody that lives on the mountains know of their underground minings. Its dangerous and they should pay for the damages on your houses.

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I would hope they would if theres any this is deffiantly close blasting (closest i've ever experienced) the mountain is a few miles away and you can only visably see the top of it (it's not a rock mountain it's a forested mountain) so i can't even see where they are at. I don't know if this is mining they are doing or not, but now that you mention it I assume it is lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: