Blastoderm or blastocyst? Help please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DynesLady, Mar 30, 2017.

1. DynesLady

DynesLady New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    Phoenix, AZ
    The last two eggs I cracked really caught my eye when I wasn't looking for anything--one dropped on the ground outside and gave me a double-take, and the other cracked for a recipe gave me the same double-take. My daughter and I have been examining fertile/infertile egg photos online and these two yolks really seem to have the "bullseye" appearance of a fertile egg. Here's the thing: we're rooster-less! They are free range on over and acre, though, and the neighborhood does have "feral" bantams. I have NEVER seen my flock close to the bantams, but if this is a fertile egg--I think I might have a secretive, promiscuous hen! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Please give your feedback.

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

It kind of looks like a blastoderm, not completely though. If you have a picture of another one that may help

3. DynesLady

DynesLady New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thank you, Poultry Parent. I do have a photo of the other egg (I dropped it outside), but it isn't as good. I'll post it anyway, though. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It's hard to tell with a not so perfect yolk, but it looks like blastoderm to me. A blastodisc is usually just a small irregular shaped white spot. That looks more round and definitely larger. I would lean toward the fertile side.

5. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Vid say that they're probably fertile

6. DynesLady

DynesLady New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    Phoenix, AZ
    They sure are getting a lot of votes for "fertile," though the consensus is primarily "unsure." If only one of my ladies would go broody and sit on them! In the meantime, eggs for eating are a-okay with us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by