Blazing hot day. The McNuggets arrive! Photos added.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Denninmi, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Of course. It had to be hot and humid.

I have to go pick them up after work at the feed store -- 25 Cornish Cross and 6 BB Bronze Turkeys.

Wish me luck.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Good luck!

3. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    So, they're home. I made it to the feed store, with about 10 minutes to share -- I had to drive clear across the county after work, about 25 miles in the rush hour Detroit area traffic.

So, here are the Cornish X:

[​IMG]

Here are the BB Bronze turks:

[​IMG]

What I wasn't expecting -- the turkeys look GREAT, the chickens were kind of limp and floppy! But, they improved a lot as soon as I got some fluids into them.

4. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Woohoo! I'm glad that all of your stressful driving was worth it and you got them home ok. Was it tough getting them to drink? Mine are coming in next week and I'm nervous about dehydration in the heat.

5. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:No, not at all. I just took each chick to the water and dipped the beak in if they didn't sample it on their own. About half of them found it without any help. The turkeys definitely found it by themselves, they are a lot more active than I thought they would be.

Once they found it, they figured it out pretty fast. And, they perked up once they got some fluids with electrolytes in them.

6. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Have you thought about giving your new meatie chicks some vitamins and electrolytes in their water since they a limpy? It really helps a lot esp from the stress of shipping. I give mine daily for the first couple of weeks the every few days after that. They sell it at TSC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by