Bleach in water???!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hikerfrog99, Feb 24, 2014.

1. hikerfrog99

hikerfrog99 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    Maybe I don't know much about chickens but I heard today that someone puts a few drops of bleach in the waterer to keep the water clean and prevent worms? Is this really true?!!! If not I'm going to give this person a piece of my mind!

2. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
  3. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    Does it really keep the worms away though? I use ACV but I am using it just to help them with stress. We just added a too so I figured they would be stressed

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't imagine it would prevent worms, but you'll never be able to convenience the person who told you. I don't bleach my water and I've never had worms...they'll say they've always bleached their water and never had worms.......not necessarily cause and effect, is it?

I add bleach to water I store for emergencies, not much just enough to keep nasties from growing in it if it gets too warm. Not a problem to drink. Just not necessary for fresh water for birds. If you have a larger waterer it may keep algae growth down, lots of folks add it to livestock water tanks.

5. Dee5385

Dee5385 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Just learning about worms....what causes worms in the chickens?

6. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    Good question Dee. I honestly don't know. I'm in the learning process too. I would like to know what you can use as a preventative.

1 person likes this.
  7. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    It shouldn't hurt. We have a water softener system and part of that is dumping a gallon of bleach in the water tank (to help with the sulfer smell maybe?) Anyway. I'm still here and we've been drinking it for awhile :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by