1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bleeding 2 month old chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country Boy 256, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Country Boy 256

Country Boy 256 New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    What can I put on the bleeding spots to get them to heal? the spot is very close to their butts.
    Please help ASAP. TYVM

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You need to separate any chick that is bleeding because the others will peck at the sores as long as blood is visible.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If they're bleeding, first seperate them from the other birds. The wounds, if not too bad, should heal fine on their own. However, to help prevent infection, you can put some antibiotic ointment (without "caine" ingredients or painkillers-- these are dangerous to chickens) on the wounds. You can also get something called "Bluekote" from a feed store/livestock supply store and apply/spray it onto the injuries. It will coat wounds blue, which helps deter other chickens from pecking at them, and will help the wounds heal.

1 person likes this.
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That's good info above; I was lazy, I guess, and didn't tell the whole story.

BluKote'm (which I use, too) main ingredient is gentian violet, an "oldy goldy" antiseptic. You may find it only in generic form.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by