Bleeding Beak!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flippasmile, Jun 28, 2011.

1. flippasmile

flippasmile New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Hello,

It's the first time I hae posted on here, I hae always found your information invaluable! But Now I have a situation with one of my new babies!

My little 3 week old chick had a fight or something in the night and the tip of her beak is missing. It was bleeding and I put flour on the beak, wrapped in a towel next to me, being given sips of sugary water. Pressure to stop the bleeding (it has stopped but starts again when she feeds, so I have not given her crumb for an hour). What should I do? I am very worried about putting her with the others again incase she bleeds. She has a slight scissor beak anyway, will she be able to eat and drink ok? Help!

Cheers,
    Philippa

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] From Missouri and [​IMG]

If it had or will not stop with flour..there are a few things you can try....

Vitamin K can be given to hep with the clotting of the blood.

you can get "quick Stop" and apply to the beak...
    Or I like to use LIQUID BAND AID....kind of like super glue for cuts....Just make sure it is totally dry B4 you but her down.

Or last resort...Take a match... put it on the beak... put pressure on the match against the beak with your thumb... then rip the match out like you were going to light it. (this may take two people so someone is holding the bird)

I would keep her isolated from the other birds until you see that she is healing nicely.
    Also try feeding her really wet mash...so there is not scraping of the sore beak.

Put some vitamins in the water and give her some scrambled eggs with buttermilk in it...

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,
    Laura

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. flippasmile

flippasmile New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks so much. that's really helpful! - Yay I can save my chicken! xx:D

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri