1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bleeding / bloody feet. Need help identifying problem. I have picture and video

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blakecooley, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Blakecooley

Blakecooley New Egg

Dec 25, 2013
    Hey there, I just signed up for this site because I've just now noticed a problem with my chickens. I have 9 chickens and they were producing between 5-7 eggs a day, and just recently they've stopped laying. I thought it was because of the cold weather, (we got 4 inches of snow the other day that turned to ice) and today I noticed blood / cuts on 4 of the chickens feet. We've had much colder temperatures than that recently without the bleeding problem, but not the snow. I hope its not mites, and I don't think it is. But I don't think its because of the cold weather too because why do only 4 of the 9 have this problem? Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had insight on to what it might be. Please also give any tips on how to treat it cheaply...I got these chickens for free and I only have them for eggs so I have no intentions of taking them into a vet. Thanks for your help, and here's a link to a video with a better look of their feet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Offhand, they look like they may have been cut. Was that an oyster shell I saw in the run? I would look around for sharp objects, and probably add mor hay to try to keep it clean on their feet. You can buy a product called BluKote, or a generic version (it is gentian violet) in the feed store which is handy around chickens; it is an antiseptic and the color discourages other chickens from pecking at any wounds. Or just clean them and use some Neosporin or whatever antiseptic you have around. Just be sure it does not have a "caine" drug in it (benzocaine, cetacaine, etc.) as these are toxic to birds at very low doses.

If you can't get them healed up, you may wind up with bumblefoot, which is a lot of work to clear up, and can actually be fatal if left untreated long enough.

Don't feel badly about the vet thing. Many if not most BYC members do not take chickens to vets.

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Your snow turning to ice may have done it if they were out in the run. The ice will crust up the surface of the snow and when they break thru it running likely some got cut. Regardless of the cause I'd clean them up, inspect, and put on a surface antibio. Cold or mites did not do it.

4. Blakecooley

Blakecooley New Egg

Dec 25, 2013
    Thank yall so much for the help and quick response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by