Bleeding bump on toe

tnchickymomma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Philadelphia, TN
This morning when I went to lety chickens out, I noticed blood on the roost branch above the pop door. This branch is used almost exclusively by my one Polish girl. I looked at her pretty good and saw a bit of blood on her foot, but before I could look closer one of my Roos decided to fly at my head. I decided to wait for my husband. Tonight we went out and sure enough, blood coming from one of the toes in her left foot. We cleaned it off really well with warm water. It appears to be a tiny flesh-colored bump that looks like it has a teeny cut on the top. It is continuously bleeding. Even as we were washing it it just kept seeping out. I was concerned we may need to bandage it but we were concerned she wouldn't be able to roost. We dried her off, compressed it a bit, and sprayed Blue Kote on it. Does anyone have a thought about what this may be or and suggestions on how to help this sweet girl?

Holding pressure on it for 2-3 minutes should stop the bleeding. It could be that the others pecked the red color and kept it bleeding. Blod Stop powder or flour can stop the bleeding also. The BluKote may help to disguise the red color.Tomorrow put some iodine on it or more BluKote. This is just my opinion, but if that rooster flew at my head more than once, he would be gone. That is not a good way to raise chickens. There are too many gentle roosters out there. Sometimes they will act aggressive if someone shows up in weird clothing like the time my house setter went out to feed in her chenille pink bathrobe, but if I couldn't get in the coop to check on a sick or bleeding bird, I wouldn't have a rooster.

Well I am feeling the same way about this rooster. This is our first flock. We ordered 15 pullets and got 4 roosters. One we euthanized for a leg issue we couldn't fix, the RIR roo is going to another home, so that leaves our SL Wyandotte and BO roos. They are only 4 months old and we were unsure whether we would keep one, both, or neither. We were waiting on them to get more mature so we could see if there was any unwanted behavior such as aggression toward us, fighting each other, etc. This Wyandotte rooster has been showing some increasing signs of aggression just very recently. We were hoping we could break him of it because he is a stunning bird and seems like a good protector. But my chickens are pets and for eggs, I can't enjoy spending time with them with this roo around.

Back
Top Bottom