Bleeding butts-32 weeks-no eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by manjari108, Jan 13, 2017.

1. manjari108

manjari108 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Hello,

My 2 EEs were being pecked on the butt by my other 2 of the same age but different breeds who have already started laying. I've searched threads on here about prolapse. I'm not sure if they are prolapsed or just swollen and my pictures don't show it well enough. They are the bottom 2 of the pecking order and the lowest one never lets me get close. She looks the worst. I am surprised I was even able to catch her to bring her in. I gave the 2 EEs each a bath in epsom salts and kept them in separate containers in my bathroom overnight. I'm going to give them a little tums because I've read that that can help them get a stuck egg out. I can't tell if there really is a stuck egg. I tried feeling their bodies while they were in the bath, but I don't know. I've only had them since September. My sister is coming over in awhile to help me try to see for sure if their vents need pushing back in (she's a nurse and blood makes me feel faint). I was working by myself last night.

Can this mean that the other 2 chickens will continue picking on them after I get them healed and reintroduced? I'm thinking of making another coop just for them. Is it possible that their genetics are wonky and they will lay huge eggs? They are pets to us, so it's pretty upsetting. I can't believe that it's a coincidence that they've both never laid an egg and now they both have the same problem. The other 2 look fine.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. I will keep updating for those who take the time.

Melinda

2. The Phantom

The Phantom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Sorry I don't know what that is. But if they are picked on you can try this. Pick no more.
    They might not lay eggs if they don't have enough minerals This might help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. The Phantom

The Phantom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2017
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What does your coop setup look like? How much room? What type of feed are you giving them? Vent pecking is usually a bad habit caused by overcrowding, not enough protein in the diet, and boredom. Occasionally there will be a bully who needs to be separated temporarily or permanently. Many people try to house chickens in too small an area. A good brand of layer feed or all flock feed should make up 90% of their diet. Scraps and corn/scratch should be very limited. Getting outside to roam around can help to get more interested in surroundings. Flock blocks, swings, and things to climb on can help. Below are pictures of prolapsed vents and at the bottom, vent pecking. Here are some links to read that may help, depending on which is happening:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
    http://articles.extension.org/pages...nibalism-in-small-and-backyard-poultry-flocks

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    photo by armorfirelady of vent prolapse Vent prolapse with darkened tissue

[​IMG]
    photo by Hen Mother of vent pecking

5. manjari108

May 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Thank you Phantom.

Eggcessive, I have 4 birds and I built the coop a little bigger than 6 would need. 6 is the max my city allows. Their run is more than ample. I'm giving them a layer feed and the occasional cucumber or berries and a bit of cracked corn mix before dusk. I think by these pictures they look like the pecking victim. I'm going to get a closer look when my sister arrives. It's definitely not like the prolapse with the darkened tissue. Thank you!

They both pooped at least once, maybe twice overnight. I think they are drinking the water.

Melinda

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    To be honest sometimes they need some type of activity unless they get outside to roam during the day. I will throw a small amount of scratch grains to look for in their clean bedding. Corn and scratch only contain half of the protein that layer has, so limit it to 10% of the diet. Some breeds can be more prone to bullying. Separating a bully for up to a week might help, but sometimes they have to be rehomed. BluKote can be good to stain the vent area blue until it heals, to prevent pecking. Bad tasting creams like Nustock, Vicks, BagBalm, and BenGay have been used to help also.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  7. manjari108

May 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Thanks again, Eggcessive! They look better today and my sister didn't see any sign of prolapse! It looks like they were pecked. I'm going to keep them separate for awhile still so they can heal.

8. manjari108

May 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Both of the EEs are in their new coop! They really hated being in the bathroom in small containers, poor things! Their bottoms are scabbed, but I did put the peck no more on them. They've been getting flavorless pedialyte too.

I'm going to divide the run tomorrow so that they can all see each other, but not get at each other. Maybe after the healing is done they can all be together again. I finally got oyster shell for them. I'm also going to make a couple of treat toys, I have a coated wire basket that I'm going to hang to put greens and other fresh things in. I like to throw the black oil sunflower seeds in sometimes too. In the spring I think I'll try to make a chicken tractor so they can find bugs and things. Their run now is about 10 ft by 13 feet. I do have a xylophone, logs and stumps in there for them. I've had a swing on my mind! And I saw somewhere that a can of tuna here and there is a real treat.

Anyway, I really appreciate your responses, Phantom and Eggcessive!

Melinda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by