bleeding comb... should i isolate?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missychicky, Jan 21, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I have doofy, a 8 month old gold sex link, the back of her comb is bleedin and some feathers have been picked off. I know about the vicks- cool aid mix but should i put her into isolation?
    I found blood on the roost last night but thought it was my rooster becuase we had tipped his nails. please help, this is the first time anything like this has happened.[​IMG]

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Probably from the male holding her to mate. She'll be fine you really don't need to do anything.
    That said, what pray tell is the "vicks-cool aid mix"?

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Quote:The infamous Vick's/ grape Kool-aid concoction is something I came up with recently when my pullet was getting her comb pecked halfway off by her sisters.

I was told by a chemist friend that artificial grape flavoring repels chickens in the same way red pepper does most mammals. This is distinguished from natural grapes - we all know chickens adore those. The turpentine oil in the Vick's is an additional repellent.

I've also used it, with tremendous success, on feathered areas to stop picking. However, be warned it's hideously greasy and won't easily wash out of feathers.

4. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    ok thats a possibility.... the thing is we're not sure if we actualy do have a rooster. the 2 australorps look very alike and I thinkI saw our "rooster" lay an egg but it could have been the hen austrolorp. any other ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by