1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bleeding comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mystang89, Oct 1, 2011.

1. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I got home today and went out to check on the leghorn hens and found that the alpha hen has blood dripping off her comb. I only have 2 adult leghorns and the other one isn't the leader and I've never seen either of them fight since I've had them. They free range but I can't see anything attacking them and leaving them alive or just aiming for the comb. The temp has been around 40's to upper 50's. I read that cleaning the comb and spraying some Blue Cote on it will help her not getting pecked on, even though I don't see the other adult pecking nor the seven 6 week olds doing anything to her. Anyone have any clue why her comb would be bleeding.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd guess it's either pecking or she got herself injured somehow. The BluKote will hopefully prevent the others from pecking the wound, whether it started with pecking or not. I was seeing a few minor but puzzling injuries once, finally caught one going through a spot that had a sharp wire edge. Fixed the wire, problem solved.

3. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Quote:That just reminded me of something that actually might have caused it. I just made a small box out of OSB wood which only has a 4" x 3" hole in it so that only my chicks would be able to go in there and get their medicated food and the other 2 adults would have to go to their own feeder for their food. I've seen the two adults trying to squeaks heads inside which they ended up looking like they are scraping the top when they pull their heads out after not being able to get the food. The other adults comb isn't nearly as big as the one in question so that may be why she isn't bleeding. Thank you for brain kick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by