Bleeding duck toe

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RavenStorm, Feb 11, 2009.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    My duck scraped her foot on a concrete step today. It appears that she completely took off the nail on the backwards-pointing toe on the back of her foot, and it slowly bled like cutting a dog's nail to the quick or trimming a blood feather. It didn't clot at all, so I caught her and cleaned the wound and slathered it in antiseptic salve. It still bled, so I pressed corn starch on it. That worked temporarily, but I had to hold her down and not let her kick or walk because she would knock of the clot. Finally, I just gave up and wrapped a foled paper towel over the toe and taped it to her (I refrained from using duck tape though, lol) I waiting a little while before I take it off, because I know she will jump in her pool and start bleeding again. Anyone have any advice on how I can help her heal, or when I can start letting her get wet again?

2. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Ok, so no one wrote with any advice but on that particular day I got the bleeding under control with the paper towel and I kept her away from her pool for two days. Yet this weekend she scraped the same toe again, and bled for a short amount of time. Anyone know if I can use liquid bandages to help her heal and maybe layer a bit of a buffer on her toe?

I need to keep her off of the steps, silly duck! I guess walking around with diving flippers makes them as clumsy as it does for us humans too!

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    SShe'll be fine if you just leave her be. No medical intervention necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by