Bleeding duckling

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EmilyB86, Mar 31, 2016.

1. EmilyB86

EmilyB86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    I came down this morning to find overnight one of my ducklings had hatched but there was a little clot of blood on its bottom and it hasn't really moved much and it has its eyes closed! What is this?!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Emily,

You've posted on new member introductions - maybe if you tried either the Duck forum or the "emergencies, diseases, injuries and cures" forum you may have better luck.

Sorry, i have no experience of hatching eggs or ducks, so I'm afraid I'm no use.

Good luck

CT

3. EmilyB86

Mar 6, 2016
    Sorry I didn't notice this ! Thanks

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Welcome to BYC!

Where exactly is the duckling bleeding from? You said "bottom", do you mean his vent or where his umbilical cord is/was?

6. EmilyB86

Mar 6, 2016
    Where his tail is! The duck cannot stand either! X

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Poor little guy! I hope he improves. :fl

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is it fresh blood/ bleeding now or just dried up? If he just hatched, he will be very worn out - hatching is very rough for a baby., and they sleep a lot the first days or so. He might have had a tear or scratch in the process. I have never had ducks but, I assume they have a sac attached which should be absorbed at birth- that provides nourishment. Some times it is not fully absorbed and the baby is born with it still attached.

Please do post on the "Duck thread," because they can give you much better advice than I can. Put the name in the search box and it will come up.

Don't feel bad about posting in the wrong place, the last couple of days I've found people asking about lizards, goats, dogs, cats, wild animals - everything BUT chickens. I think everyone deserves the dignity of a reply, and to be courteously pointed in the right direction.

Backyard chickens does have threads for ducks, geese, swans, emus, so you really are NOT out of bounds here. We have many new members asking about their ducks.

I hope your duckling will have a good outcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by