Bleeding ears -my new chicks won't shut up!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoManyHats, Nov 19, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I just picked Up 15 BO up from the post office. And they will not shut up. They are peeping so loud, at such a high pitch, that I feel like I'm going to lose my hearing. :he :hit

What could be wrong?? Will they settle down soon??

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That usually means they're too cold, too hot, hungry, thirsty or uncomfortable in some way.

Put a little stevia, agave nectar, honey or sugar in their lukewarm water.
    Sprinkle the starter feed around the floor of the brooder space as they'll pick at whatever is at their feet.
    If they're crowding together, they're too cold. If they are far from the heat source, they're too hot.
    What are you using for a brooder and what is the heat source?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    X2 the chicks are telling you they want something. Water, feed, more warmth....they let you know.

4. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    They are in a large plastic bin with a red heat bulb. The thermometer says it's 95 under it, but I'm wondering if they can't all get in the warm area. They are all piling on top of each other under the bulb. I was just thinking about ordering an Ecoglow...would that help?

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X3 If they are piling it sounds like your chicks are too cold, can you put in another heat source or a larger bulb without overheating the bin? Ecoglow should work, when you can get it.

6. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Maybe add another lamp.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Cover half of the bin to keep the heat in and wrap it in towels or a blanket. Plastic wicks heat pretty fast.
    95 under the lamp is fine if you retain some of the heat. Piling up under the lamp means they're cold. Turn up the thermostat in the house temporarily.

8. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    Yep, they're trying to tell you they are quite uncomfortable in some way. I'm gonna go with the crowd here and say it's the heating. Once you warm them up they will shut up I'm sure. XD Good luck with them!

9. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yep I also agree and likely by what you discribed they are cold. But if your going to add more heat make SURE they have a cool or colder side to the brooder because they need a area to cool off if they are too hot. so although they are too cool now you wouldn't want to heat the entire brooder. You must have that cooler area that they can go to if over heated. So you will want a balance. Expand the heat a bit on the warm side making sure they still have that cool side or area they can go when they are over heated. Once you get the balance right you will hear pleasant chirps and happy chirps its a much different sound and very soothing I think. You will soon learn happy contiented chirps from the other upset crying chirps. I hope this helps and wish you The best with your new little ones! Also sometimes to control the temp you raise or lower the heat lamp. ALWAYS watch your temperatures when adding heat. Good luck and God bless

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by