Bleeding follicals of feathers- environmental, nutrition or?

Siotha

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2020
Outside Chattanooga Tennessee
Hi in November 3 of my white peafowl suddenly looked like they has mild blood feather damage. One looked bad enough we brought her in to clean her up. But no singular feather was the culprit. She loved a warm bath and I noticed if we messed with her follicles they would bleed just enough to notice. Being bright white we notice. My peas have done some silly things in the past, but never had any noticeable feather folical injuries.

They are 3 years old. Vibrant. But 2 have been a little less active but still eating, drinking, flying, and never enough blood to come close to a blood feather loss.

But ik unsure if their I a cause. As 3 of them we can see when they are messed with, now easily bleed.
Screenshot_20230105_020156_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230105_020018_Photos.jpg

When a feather is lost due to molting or some other removal, another will grow in its place. When a new feather grows, it receives a blood supply and a nerve. New feathers can be very sensitive.

When the feather reaches it’s appropriate length, the blood supply and sensitivity die off and leave the hardened feather.

In the last picture you can see the nourishing sheath around the short growing feather. It looks life the blood may have come from that.

Back
Top Bottom