Bleeding foot/leg question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tylersmum, Oct 6, 2011.

1. tylersmum

tylersmum Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Maine
    Hi All, I don't think this is a super emergency or anything but I noticed my barred rock this morning as some torn skin on her ankle (do chickens have ankles?) and there was just a bit of reddish but not really bleeding. The other foot between 2 toes the skin looks like it is roughed up and a little red too. Neither wound seems to be actually bleeding but like it could any time. She was laying an egg when I noticed the wounds and she seems fine every other way. I am wondering if I should try to put something on the wounds or leave them alone for now since they aren't really bleeding or opened up. Not sure what happened to her. Keeping an eye on her for now in with the other 7 girls.

2. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    From what i was reading vaseline is good for their legs,even suppose to kill mites.

3. tylersmum

tylersmum Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Maine
    Here is a pic of the worst wound. It almost looks like a scrape. There was skin hanging before. That is now gone. Again I don;t think it is serious but just want to know if there is something I should do.
    [​IMG]

4. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I would just keep it clean maybe a light dab of vaseline and watch it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by