Bleeding from nostril...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TubbyChicken, Sep 3, 2008.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    I just noticed one of my pullets was bleeding from only one nostril. It doesn't sound raspy, it isn't acting sick or injured...it isn't sneezing and seems otherwise fine.

I saw it throw up a bit...and that's when I noticed the blood. It's in the run and I haven't been able to catch it yet. There is no blood in the coop...no bloody stools, no other bird seems affected at all and the bleeding is coming from only one nostril (it's not dripping blood).

[​IMG] What could this be? I' searching and finding nothing online.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I dont know what it is but maybe if you could find something to use to get her in a corner then you could isolate her from the rest of the chickens.

3. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Could she have gotten into something? I've also noticed this particular bird staring down my cockerel...It stands in front of the cockerel and positions itself eye to eye. Could this be related to an injury that I missed?

4. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have no idea what this is about...now I see nothing.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm. The first thing I thought of when you said blood was ILT. I sure hope that's not what's going on here. Here is a link for you: http://www.canadianpoultry.ca/ilt.htm This is just for your information; it really didnt sound like this disease, but one symptom is bloody discharge.

However, since there are no other symptoms, perhaps she was pecked hard there?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine was doing that just today and found it was just a peck from another bird. I had two today that did that. Both were pecked by another naughty bird.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you see no other symptoms, I bet she was pecked. Just watch her to see if anything else crops up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by