Bleeding from Rectum! I'm scared pls help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PickUpChicks, Aug 6, 2014.

1. PickUpChicks

PickUpChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    Lompoc Ca
    I just received a call from home that my 4 month old Silkie, "Tofu" is bleeding from the rectum. They are cleaning their area now. I'm really concerned and really scared. I'm reading about Coccidiosis & it just all jumbles together. Is it fatal? What can/should I do? I'm really freaking out! She's my baby.

Other info: We recently added a 4th chick to our Trio (she was 6wks when we brought her home, my trio chicks were about 10wks). it's my first time having chickens. I love them to death!! Don't want anything to happen. Please help!

2. PickUpChicks

Jul 14, 2014
    Lompoc Ca
    I called the Seed & Feed where we bought our chicks from (they're always so helpful!) and they recommended "Sulmet" to cure Cocci! I'm rushing now to get some now.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get Corid or Amprollium instead if possible. It works on all of the strains of cocci. Sulmet gets the 2 worst strains, and it can be a little hard on chicks. If using the sulmet, follow directions exactly, since it can be toxic to hearing and kidneys. Was the chick pooping bloody stools or was there blood coming from the vent because of pecking?

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    So sorry you are having an emergency with your little silkie. Yes, Corid is a much better treatment method. I will venture a guess that the 4th chick you added to your trio was carrying the disease and infected your flock. You might want to isolate that 4th chick and treat ALL 4 of them with Corid. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

5. PickUpChicks

Jul 14, 2014
    Lompoc Ca
    They only had Sulmet [​IMG] I live in what is considered a city area so there's limited resources. I will be very careful to treat her but I'd appreciate any additional advise! Should I treat the others chicks as well or just separate them?

She is bleeding little droplets every now and then, like menstrual spotting for lack of a better analogy.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It would probably be best to treat them all since they have been exposed to it. Keep the waterers and feeders up at shoulder height to keep droppings out, and make sure the bedding is clean and dry. Sulmet dosage is 1 ounce (30 ml) per gallon of water for 2 days, then 1/2 ounce for 4 additional days. Give probiotics and vitamins after treatment is finished.

1 person likes this.
  7. PickUpChicks

Jul 14, 2014
    Lompoc Ca
    Thank you! I just ordered Probios, over night shipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by