bleeding from vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by francel, Jan 10, 2019.

1. francel

francel In the Brooder

Oct 3, 2018
    San Luis Valley Colorado
    I have 3 hens that are bleeding from the vent and have diarrhea. Two are still very active but the other one is drinking plenty of water but not eating. No chicken vet around. I did isolated them . What is the next thing to do.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you looked to see how bad the injuries are? How much room do they have? What are they eating? Do you think they were pecked by the other chickens? They may do that if over crowded, bored from not getting out to roam, or not getting a balanced chicken feed with 16-20% protein. Can you get any vent pictures? Can you see if any have a prolapsed vent or any vent damage? When chickens peck each other’s vents, they can cannibalize and actually pull intestines out. Do you have any BluKote or Wound Kote to spray the bloody vents blue to keep them from pecking each other? Try to take pictures first though. Try offering the one who is not eating, some watery chicken feed in a bowl, and offer some cooked egg or tuna.

3. francel

francel In the Brooder

Oct 3, 2018
    San Luis Valley Colorado
    thanks for your response. I did clean the wound and isolated them until the wound are better . They don't peck at each other to much . I have 11 Hens in a 4x6 coop but they don't go outside too much in the snow .

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    2x Eggcessive, please answer the questions asked (helps us to figure out possibilities) and pictures would really help. I'm thinking with 11 hens in a 4x6 coop, it's pretty crowded and their pecking on those on the bottom of the pecking order.

Wyorp Rock and Eggcessive like this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Whoa that is not near the amount of room they need. That is only enough room for about 6 hens to just sleep in at night. If they are confined during bad weather, they need way more room, or you are going to see more injuries. Do you have a basement or garage that would provide more room? Do they have a run they can get out into during the daytime? Experts usually say to give 4 square feet to each chicken, and more if they are inside all day. If there is snow, I usually shovel an area for them to come outside for some sun and to peck around. If mine are confined, I will throw some scratch around to give them something to do, and some people hang a cabbage to peck on.

Wyorp Rock and ChickNanny13 like this.
  6. francel

francel In the Brooder

Oct 3, 2018
    San Luis Valley Colorado
    The problem is resolve for now . No other sick hens, Yes I have 11 hens in a 6X8 coop + run ( Sorry if I missed inform you) . I haven have any problem with excessive pecking until now . We did clean the coop and steam it. WE continue to check the vents and stools regularly. It a bit hard with the snow. We cannot clean the run as often. Thanks for the help Francel

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. francel

francel In the Brooder

Oct 3, 2018
    San Luis Valley Colorado
    sorry I missed inform you the coop is 6x8 + the run . Thanks for the help . I will clean the snow for them to go out . I do give them scratch inside if the stay there most of the time because of bad weather. Hey thanks again for your help . Francel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: