Bleeding from vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lauren alex, Dec 3, 2013.

1. lauren alex

lauren alex Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2013
    My Wyandotte pullet ( not laying yet) started coughing a week ago. Yesterday she started walking funny and laying down a lot. Today she is bleeding ( a lot) from her vent. I have soaked her in warm water four times this week. Today the tub was full of blood. I cleaned her up and she dripped blood until it formed a clot as big as a golf ball hanging from the vent. The vent is not prolapsed. She has good color, eats well, drinks well and her poop has been normal but now covered with blood. She is isolated and has been on antibiotics for two days. Getting worse not better! Help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm so sorry about your hen, but with that much bleeding, it kind of makes me wonder if she doesn't have either cancer or a severe problem with her liver. There is a virus that somewhere in the cobwebs of my brain that may cause vent bleeding, but I will have to lookit up.

3. lauren alex

Apr 9, 2013
    This bird is a beautiful LFSLW that was very expensive. The others were $1.98 and are just fine. Isn't that just the luck? She is also the sweetest bird in my 6 bird flock. I noticed more white poop on her feathers than the other girls had about a month ago so I gave her a bath and she looked normal after that. She is really a bloody mess now. I think she is grateful to be isolated as she was being picked on. She is really going downhill fast. It's hard to comfort a bleeding chicken but I think she is probably a goner. Even so, I'd like to know what this is all about so I can avoid it in the future. All comments will be greatly appreciated and if we can save her I'd be really happy! Thank you

4. lauren alex

Apr 9, 2013
    I just looked up peckout. I noticed she was coughing before I went on vacation. My bird sitter said the others were keeping her away from food. When I got home she had neck feathers pecked off and when I cleaned up her bottom, there were a few feathers pecked off around the vent. Do you think the cough made her a target and then they cannabalized her vent?

5. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    If you see the damage? If it is internal than no.......

You say white poop? Was it a liquid white that smelled "off" and had no green to it at all???

Liquid white without green is a first sign of blockage/ constipation; Light and bright green is the liver failure that follows if the blockage isn't resolved. I wonder if she had an egg stuck in her that got broken and is cutting her up in there. :( My friend had hatchery SLW that she lost one by one to egg binding as soon as they came of laying age. Poor girl. Treats, and loves. My chickens like hugged, maybe it will make her feel better.

6. fuzzybutt love

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    Natural flock instinct is to kill the sick. Not that she was sick, but if something was wrong they would know much before you since it is also natural instinct to NOT show signs so as NOT to be killed. It is heartbreaking when flock mates turn on one of their own. Not much you can do though except separate.

7. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    If the birds see blood they will also go after her.

Have you tried to look inside her vent to see if she looks sore, maybe source of blood. I notice one of my pullets bleeding, i looked in her vent and it was sore and bleeding She was a mess from runny poo and blood. The birds i feel pecked her, i was wondering if maybe she prolapsed, and it went back in, but got pecked at first. The way her poo looked, I thought gleet, however, I dont know if that would make them sore to point of bleeding. When I brought her in the house, she poop out worms. So I treat all my birds for worms and I gave her antibiotics. She did heal up and is back to normal. I did give her Mother Earth Vinegar to treat for gleet for about three days and then gave the antibiotic.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. flnatv54

flnatv54 New Egg

Feb 10, 2014
    I'm a newbie and usually lurk and learn. I always turn my girls out to free range after they lay and usually they always come up on the porch looking for a treat of cracked corn or meal worms. Today I noticed blood spots on the concrete and started watching to see which one it was coming from. It was my barr rock or granny chicken. I immediatly came to you guys for an answer. Vent prolapse was the first problem that came up. I checked her vent and all looks normal according to the images I have seen. Being a newbie I had to "bing" it. Anyhow, no lice. She's eating well. She laid today which was another indication she might be having a problem. There was a quarter size dried spot of blood in the hay. All seems normal but she's dripping blood every now and them. What now?!!!!

9. fuzzybutt love

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    Start a new thread, that way you get the most help possible; i wish i could be helpful. :(

10. flnatv54

flnatv54 New Egg

Feb 10, 2014
    Thanks....I'll do that. Just got back from the coop and there's a large spot of blood where she was roosting. Got to do something pronto. Can't stand the thought of any animal suffering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by