Bleeding Hen From the Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jenny28, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Jenny28

Jenny28 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Chichester, NH
    Hi all, one of our hens appears to be bleeding a little off and on from her back end, I believe she is our rooster, Charlie's favorite. Has anyone ever seen this happen? Should I pine tar it or just watch and see? She is still laying BTW.

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

He's just too much man for her [​IMG]

3. Jenny28

Sep 14, 2011
    Chichester, NH
    Quote:[​IMG]: [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Tail area? Vent area? Bleeding from vent? Below vent?
    If your roo broke off one of her feathers, that can cause a little bleeding, as can a roo whose spurs are too long & sharp (I picked up a hen once whose one side had been cut open & skinned by a spur, and she recovered).
    Where on her back end is the blood? And how old is she?

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Is it on top of her butt, or the um, where the egg comes out? Could she be eggbound? Prolapse? Need more info.

6. Jenny28

Sep 14, 2011
    Chichester, NH
    It appears to be below vent area. She is one of the harder ones to catch, I will have to look more closely when I grab her during roosting time. She is about 10 months old. I don't believe she is egg bound, she is one our better layers and I have seen and heard her in the nesting boxes today. No funny shaped or abnormally large eggs. I'll keep you all posted when I can take a better look this evening.

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    She may fool you, maybe she is trying, but nothing's coming out... see tonite

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by