bleeding hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PITT CHICK, Sep 25, 2010.

1. PITT CHICK

PITT CHICK New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    i have 11 hens , 4 broad rocks (sp) 4 rhoade island reds , and 3 not sure what they are called buy they are all white with fury feet lol . but seriously one of them is eating the reds from the back side and exposing flesh . what can i do ?

2. Elena712

Elena712 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    On A Farm
    If its the Hens eating at each other, Find out who the canibal is, seperate her from the others, and If this keeps happening, I guess you'll have no other right then to Re-locate her, or kill her [​IMG]

3. PITT CHICK

PITT CHICK New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    Thanks alot for the post. I think I have found the chicken who has been causing the injuries and have isolated her. After a incounter [ i didn't see it] I saw the hen eating her own feathers. Does this mean anything?

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It could indicate that she needs more protein.

But as to the wounds on the picked chickens, i would get some blue kote on that asap. This will act as an antiseptic to keep the wound from getting infected, and it will camouflage the bloody wound from the other chickens who might be attracted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by