Bleeding membrane??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by abgraves69, Nov 26, 2014.

1. abgraves69

abgraves69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2014
    FL
    So, 4 of my chicks have hatched and one pipped and started zipping. I noticed that the membrane was bleeding quite a bit. The chicks beak is out and it's still chirping and moving. So I just left it alone. Is that the right thing to do?

2. abgraves69

Oct 6, 2014
    FL
    Anyone?

3. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    It sounds like the chick pipped into a blood vessel that hadn't quite receeded yet. Everything I've read says to put the egg back and wait. Helping could cause more bleeding and I can't find any information about helping the bleeding to stop. I'm sorry I can't be more help. As far as I can tell you did the right thing. I hope it turns out okay for you. Maybe someone with vast knowledge on these things will have a tip or trick that I haven't been able to find.

4. abgraves69

Oct 6, 2014
    FL
    Well, I never even took it out, so hopefully it will be ok. I'm not him tonight so I won't know until first thing in the morning. Thanks for responding!

5. Sustained

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    Oh good! I must've misunderstood that part. You're welcome. :)

6. abgraves69

Oct 6, 2014
    FL
    So the one that was bleeding hatched but it's just laying there(still in incubator). Its on its side and it's chirping. But it's not trying to get up and walk or anything. It's so sad.

7. Sustained

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    That's actually not abnormal. After a bit of blood loss it probably took a lot out of it to get out of that shell and he/she is probably exhausted. My last batch I had one that took almost 18 hours before it tried to do much after hatching. She kept peeping pathetically and falling asleep a lot. She's a robust little thing now though :) I'm hoping that's all that's wrong with yours! If she made it all the way out of the shell I would have hope

8. abgraves69

Oct 6, 2014
    FL
    It's in the brooder now making all kinds of racket. Lol. It's still having a hard time getting up and moving a lot, but I thought being in with the other babies would help.

9. Sustained

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    [​IMG] A little hatchmate encouragement never hurts lol It's when they're laying there not doing much and very quiet that I start to worry a lot :)

10. abgraves69

Oct 6, 2014
    FL
    He seems to be walking more on his, I don't know, elbows I guess. Not sure what that's about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by