Bleeding out of ears...help...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erinangele, Sep 29, 2011.

1. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    This morning when i let the girls out of the coop i noticed that my LB had dried blood on the side of her head. After a little closer inspection i noticed it is on both sides, i *think* where her ears are. What could have caused this? All of the girls are really sweet, she is actually the only aggressive one (and by aggressive i mean she instigates chest bumping) so i don't think any of them pecked her. Plus the fact that it is in the same spot on both sides makes me think it's ear related. They are 11 weeks old, and are locked in a very secure coop at night. Help!

2. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    If it is blood, the only thing that I know of as a cause for this would be head trauma. Fluid coming out of the hens ears would be from a outer ear infection. Watch her for abnormal head movements.

If it is an ear infection, treat with antibiotic.

3. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    It is dried blood, not fluid. She seems ok otherwise. So i guess i will keep an eye on her. Do you think it could be caused by being frightened?

4. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yes, she probably did get frightened during the night somehow and bonked herself.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Her startling could have easily led to her flying into the coop ceiling or falling off a perch and hitting her head. Sometimes they aren't the most graceful birds. If there is no infection, the best healer is time. If she develops signs of lethargy, different pupil sizes, seizures, one side of her body not working, (signs of a traumatic brain injury), then I'd separate her and keep her comfortable. There isn't much you could do for a chicken experiencing a brain injury though other than wait it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by