1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bleeding rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengirl28, Feb 12, 2016.

1. chickengirl28

chickengirl28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    UK
    I have 4 roosters 2 of them are brothers . 2 days ago the two brothers start fighting and they are both are bleeding ,then today I put them together and then one I came after 2 hours and found one had excessive bleeding so I cleaned it thn left him he for 2 more hours
    The bleeding has stopped a bit
    How can I stop it from bleeding and how can I make the wounds heal
    Also I am planning to keep him inside for about a week or longer and might get a chicken diaper for him to roam around in my room

Thank you

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If the wounds are from fighting they are probably on the comb, which bleeds every time they shake their heads. They will heal up find without intervention. I wouldn't keep it in the house unless you want blood everywhere, it should clot and stop bleeding after a few hours.

You do need to either keep your roosters separated, find a home for one, or let them fight it out. Spring is coming and all roosters are starting to have surges of hormones which makes them fight for dominance.

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I "think" as long as it's not a deep would you can put cornflour on it. Maybe google that to check.

How many hens do you have? Sounds like you are going to have to find one a new run or else home. They will keep going till one is dead, and then they will probably start on the other two. They are very territorial so unless you have something like ten hens per rooster they will fight to be the top rooster who gets the hens. Sadly with deadly results.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I keep multiple roosters and I've never had one kill another, they might both look like it but they end up fine. I don't confine my either though, so everyone can get away from each other.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yep but how many hens do you have, and how much room? A large free ranging flock with lots of hens is going to have a different outcome to four roosters and say two hens in a small backyard run where nobody can get far away from each other. One breed of rooster is going to be less violent than another too.

So what works for one won't always work for another, it's very much a case by case thing but worse case scenario as per lots of threads to that effect is a dead rooster. But yes they may get lucky and after being seperated for a few weeks from the flock when they put it back everybody is going to play nice, but I wouldn't want to put money on it lol. A lot depends on his flock size, breed and space which we can only guess at. I'm guessing small backyard flock cause larger setups rarely have chickens inside in diapers :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You are correct, you will never find a chicken with a diaper in my house. I do have a lot of space, and I let my roosters work things out between themselves, I currently have 3 large, and 11 bantam roosters in two flock, many of the bantam have no hens, but I could see in a confinement situation, the loser might not be able to get away.

7. chickengirl28

Mar 2, 2015
    UK
    A year ago I had 2 hens and 1 rooster
    Then my uncle add 3 roosters to my flock and both of my hens died of different reason a fox and a disease
    So then all I a have is 4 roosters
    The garden is pretty big and they have a lot of space I'm deciding on keeping my roosters separate in different coops

8. chickengirl28

Mar 2, 2015
    UK
    I have a 5x bigger rooster then these brothers so the pecking order is only gonna be decided between them 2 them the other rooster is the smallest so he is the right at the bottom

9. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    you might be thinking of cornstarch it is used a thickener in soups because of its gelling ability

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's those little roosters that often fight the most over position, even if it's the bottom positions. I have always let mine go at it and let them fight it out, sometimes it gets pretty bad looking but everyone always heal up. It sometimes can help to pen them next to each other, they often work things out through the wire enough so when released they have an understanding. There's no right way to do it, so do what you are comfortable with. Spring is the time when most roosters will fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by