1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bleeding Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Golden Chicky, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Golden Chicky

Golden Chicky New Egg

Jan 3, 2009
    I have a rooster who is missing a few feathers from his chest. I went out today to discover that he had blood all over his chest from an injury. I tried to find what could have hurt him but I couldn't find anything. I'd like to do something to help but my rooster is just plain mean and will attack me instantly if I come near him. Is there a chance that he'll get pecked to death by my hens and my other rooster, even if he is in control of the flock? Also, should I just let it be or should I try? Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm not sure what to do.

2. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    He'll go from the top of the pecking order to the bottom in an instant if the others sense his weakened state. I once found my best alpha rooster in nest box hiding. I took him out and separated him from the others but noticed he had bumblefoot. It was unfortunately too late to save him.

3. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Forgot to mention that a little blood may just be from fighting and all may still be status quo in the coop. However you should keep an eye on him and the others. Put a little pin tar on his wound. It tastes terrible which helps prevent pecking [ which can lead to cannibalism ] and helps to prevent further bleeding.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You should be able to examine him more carefully after he's gone to bed and is sleepy and not so ornery. Then you can determine if the wounds are just surficial in which case topical neosporin (without pain relief additive) should help him heal.
    Good luck!!
    JJ

5. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!! You will find LOTS of good info here!

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

yes, with blood on him like that, there is a possibility that the other birds will peck at it, which makes it worse, which means more blood, more picking, and ultimately death.
    ya need to be able to look at it, fish net, blanket, or wait till he roosts tonight, bout an hour after dark,, if still bleeding, corn starch will clot it, then an neosprorin type stuff ( i have spray stuff for mine) then if you cant separate him from the others,, you need to try some of the anti-pic cremes.

EDIT: to add,,, IMO you shouldnt have an animal you cant control enough to care for,, i would try to reform or rehome him and find a roo you can give medical care to.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  7. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I would definitely try. And I would do what others have suggested - go out at night with a flash light. Do NOT shine the flash light on him - keep it muted so you can barely see what you are doing. You just need enough light to identify him and see enough to pick him up. I lay the flash light on the coop floor, up against the opposite wall so it barely emits light. Immediately wrap a towel around his body so that you secure his wings. Bring him inside and examine him. It will be easier and he will be calmer if you keep a towel draped losely over his head.

You need to figure out why he's bleeding. It may be nothing serious- but it may be something you need to treat.

And I agree with the1much - you need to reform him so you can properly care for him. A mean rooster is not worth having - and it's bad for him if you can't treat him when he needs it. I doubt any rooster cares to be handled, but you shouldn't have to be afraid to do it if you have to.

Good luck - and let us know how it goes.

Take care,
    Penny

8. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Get a fishing net and go in after him. Once you get him in the net, get ahold of BOTH his feet and remove the net. You can carry him by the feet or just turn him over and apply medicine to his wounds. If he continues to attack you, there is some GREAT recipes for Chicken and Dumplings that are available in this forum.

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Advise not carrying him upside down - it can be dangerous. Follow the earlier advice about a calm nightime capture and exam.
    JJ

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

carrying them upside down puts weight on their lungs, and make it hard to breathe,, its o.k. to carry them like that for a minute or 2 ,, its doesnt start "bothering" them till a few minutes of it. grabbing a bird by their feet and hanging them there until they calm down is just fine,, he will only flap round for 30 or so seconds,, it is also a good way to teach them not to attack you,,, when they go for ya,, you grab them,, and hang them upside down,, and walk around for a minute or 2. they dont like it, and they learn "why" it gets done to them very fast,, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by