Bleeding scovie duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Birdcrazy, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    My scovie ducks have started hatching and one has pulled out of the egg but is bleeding a bit..[​IMG]
    is that bad? will it be ok?

2. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have never encountered that before, sorry I dont have an answer to help you out, but my thoughts are with you that the duckie duck makes it through strong!

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    A little bleeding is common if they break away from the last few veins when hatching. As long as it stops fairly quickly and isnt a great deal the little one will most likely be fine. By the time they are ready to hatch they have absorbed the yolk and most of the blood from the veins- sometimes what is seen is the blood from the veins rather than blood coming from the duckling. Hope the little one is ok for you.

4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Ok thanks heaps [​IMG]
    It had blood soaked into the shirt i had the duckling on, when the mother jumped back on her nest she shook the half hatched ducklings around a bit and seemed to try to break the egg shell.. but wasnt very gentle with it...

Im hand raising one so I guess it'll be this one, it seems to be doing fine at the moment, sleeping, yawning, stretching and the ocasional peep. Ill be keeping an eye on it all night [​IMG]
    Now just need a name...
    lol. thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by