bleeding sores on feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by af, Feb 3, 2009.

1. af

af New Egg

Feb 3, 2009
    one of our white rock hen's has red bleeding sores on both of her feet. anyone have an idea of what it might be and how to treat it?

i just put topical antibiotic on it. she seems to be eating, but prefers to keep to herself.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you noticed her being picked at? Have you had really cold weather? Kinda sound like bumblefoot. Can you post a pic?

3. af

af New Egg

Feb 3, 2009
    i haven't noticed if she has been pecked at. we have had cold weather recently--we live in the northeast. i have attached a pic.

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I'm not seeing your picture, new egg. Try again?

5. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Is it the tops of feet or bottoms? If you have freezing temps than maybe it was like Ralphie and "A christmas story" and the feet froze to something? If it's the tops of feet than i can't think of how?

6. af

af New Egg

Feb 3, 2009
    the sores are on the tops of her feet, and here's the pic.
    [​IMG]

7. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That's painful looking! Poor baby-do they get frostbite on feet I wonder?

8. af

af New Egg

Feb 3, 2009
    one of our hens had a lump like this on her foot this past summer---I treated her with antibiotic. the lump stayed there but looked healed. this could be her again (but i'm not positive, as they all look alike). if it is her and it is a pre-existing condition since the summer that has resurfaced, do you have any other thoughts on what it could be and how to treat?

9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I may be just reaching here ~ but could it be a staph infection? Staph can surface in many different ways on a chicken's legs, especially after a bump or bruise. (Staph also appears on the bottoms of feet as bumblefoot.)

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/204200.htm

Also - what is her perch situation like? Could she be worrying it by having her leg rub on the perch at night?

10. af

af New Egg

Feb 3, 2009
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I will start with a dose of antibiotic, just in case it is that. should i also separate her from the others?

I think the other hens may be pecking at the sores as well, as she seems to avoid being close them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by